photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Sunday, June 2, 2013

SWEET SUNDAY


Did I tell you that I really appreciate you for reading my blog?  Seriously, I feel like I know each one of you.  My blog gives me something positive to think about in the middle of the night instead of worrying about climate changes or my sick friend.  I have something meaningful to do each day when I get up in the morning.  Thank you!

You never know what you’re going to find, do you?  Sometimes a good idea, sometimes an inspirational story, and sometimes an activity that will help those skills go down.  It’s summer, and it’s Sunday, so I decided to give you two of my favorite dessert recipes.  Sugar is taking a bad rap these days, but all things in moderation.  Besides, you deserve a treat for making it to the end of the school year.  (Well, some of you are almost at the end!)

Brownie Pie

1 cup sugar
1 stick butter (softened)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Bake a deep dish pie crust at 350 for 6-7 minutes.  Mix ingredients together.  Pour into pie crust.  Bake about 30 minutes.  (It takes a lot longer than this in my oven.  You can tell when it's done with the toothpick trick.)
*It’s really good with a scoop of ice cream on top.  Or, if you want to send someone into a coma, drizzle hot chocolate sauce on top of the ice cream.

Summer Cobbler

With all the berries and fresh fruit available, here’s an easy cobbler.  If you “don’t cook,” you can do this!  If you are a “chef” you’ll enjoy it just as well!

You will need:
1 stick butter cut into pieces
1 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 TBS baking powder
½ tsp. salt
3 cups fruit (blueberries, raspberries, peaches, etc. – fresh or frozen)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Put the butter in the bottom of a 9” x 9” pan and place in the oven to melt.  Combine the other ingredients (except the fruit) in a mixing bowl.  Remove pan from the oven and pour the batter on top of the melted butter.  Place fruit on top and return to the oven for 50-60 minutes until crust is golden brown.  Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream on top.


P.S.  My husband and I served lunch at the shelter last Thursday and they have created a free lending library on their porch.  You have to have an address to get a library card, but the homeless are welcome to any of the books in the open shelves.  The director said, "It's like manna.  Books just keep showing up!"  Isn't that a good thing?