photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Monday, June 23, 2014

GOOD SEEDS


It's actually early in the morning on June 18.  No, it's not time travel, I'm just going to be busy this week at the College of Charleston Summit, Summer Camp in Tampa, and the Best Practices Conference in New Orleans.  It's difficult to blog on the road, so I always try to work ahead.  Here's a follow up on yesterday's post.  I'd sure love to hear from you if you try this little ritual in your classroom this year.  Come back tomorrow to see all the new things I learned from teachers this past week!

YOU are kind!
YOU are smart!
YOU are important!
And YOU can plant good seeds in children every day!
                          
Classroom Management 

Instead of reprimanding children for inappropriate behavior ask, “What are you? Show me.” Or say, “You know what to do.” Instead of focusing on negative behavior, “rise above it” by planting GOOD seeds!

21st Century Skills 

“I am kind. I am smart. I am important.” These statements can also nurture cooperation and collaboration and create a caring classroom “family.”

Executive Function 
The statement reminds children that THEY are responsible for their behavior. “Internal locus of control” was something I learned about 40 years ago. It’s basically the same as what we call “self-regulation” today. We are all responsible for our behavior. It’s not our mother or the weather or the dog. I AM RESPONSIBLE!