photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

DANCING IN DES MOINES!

Stress Button (Christine Burchfield) 
Put a piece of Velcro on a poker chip for children to keep in their pocket. They can rub the Velcro on the chip to calm down. 
*Place Velcro strips on the side of their desk to rub and relax. (Pam Armon) 
Line Up Chant (Christine Burchfield) 
2, 4, 6, 8
Meet me at the garden gate.
If I’m late my teacher won’t wait.
2, 4, 6, 8

Tissue, Please! 
Children can signal that they need a tissue by touching their finger to their nose.

Free Books! (Pam Armon)
firstbook.org has books for teachers and students at low-income schools.

Kiss the Corners (Sara Curtis)
When folding papers to get the corners lined up tell them to “kiss the corners.”

Retelling 5 (Lisa Betterton)
Make a wall poster similar to the one shown. After reading a story students grab each digit and retell the information.
C – character (thumb)
S – setting (pointer)
P – problem (middle finger)
BME – beginning, middle, end (ring finger)
S – solution (pinky) 


Name Song (Jill Horton)
Sing this song to the tune of “Oscar Meyer Bologna.”
Oh, my paper has my first name.
It’s right there at the top.
I don’t want to forget it it
Or in the trash it’ll plop.
Oh I love to write my name you see
And if you ask me why I’ll say
‘Cause all my papers are special –
S – P – E – C – I – A – L!

N.A.P. (Joy & Dawn)
Teach children to say “N.A.P.” when they make a mistake or bad things happen.
N – not
A – a
P – problem

Math Squares (Elise Bernholtz)
Write numbers 1-20 on flooring square tiles and use them for various counting, addition/subtraction, number stories, etc.

Word Wizard (Lori Bowen)
When kids don’t know a word during a story they put their “word wizard” (twirl two fingers in the air) up. The teacher can ask them what they have a question about when you get to the end of the page.
*Write flash cards with highlighters and use with a black light.

Googly Glasses (Michelle Black)
Teacher wears googly glasses and sings, “1, 2, 3, all eyes on me.”
Children use hands to make binoculars and respond, “1, 2, our eyes on you!”

Dr. Discover (First Grade Team at Bowman Woods Elementary)
Teachers dress up in lab coats, wigs, and goggles, and use a funny voice to teach science and do experiments.
*Time – “O’clock is to the top.”

Tell All Mirror (Miranda, West Burlington Elementary)
Get an 8” x 10” framed mirror at the dollar store and write “Tell All Mirror” on it. When students want to tattle tell them to “go tell the little boy or girl in the mirror.”

Signs (Miranda)
Teach children signs for white and chocolate milk, as well as specials like art, music, PE, etc.

Line Up Song (Lisa Betterton)
Sing this song to the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell.”
When you’re quiet we will go.
When you’re quiet we will go.
Off to (music) we will go.
Hips and lips.
Face the front.
When you are quiet
We will go!

Basketball Cheer (Alicia Sherwood)
Dribble, dribble, pass. (Pretend to dribble a ball and then pass it.)
Dribble, dribble, shoot. (Pretend to shoot the ball.)

Sentence Check
Sing this song to the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell”…
My sentence needs a check.
My sentence needs a check.
Hi ho a writing I go.
My sentence needs a check.
Thumb taps the capital…
Pinky taps the period…
*Pointer says it makes sense.
Pointer says it makes sense.
Read it and then you’ll say.
I love my sentence! (Turn your hand over to reveal sign language for “love.”)