photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

BE A BUDDY

My grandson K.J. helped me write this song about buddies several years ago. I think it gives children some good strategies for dealing with bullies, and there are some extension activities that will reinforce standards.

Be a Buddy, NOT a Bully!
(Tune: “Harrigan”)
Give me a B – B.
Give me a U – U…D…D…Y…
What’s it spell? BUDDY!
B-u-d-d-y
I’m going to be a buddy.
I will never be a bully.
I’ll say NO to bullies!
B-u-d-d-y
That is what I’ll be.
I’ll be kind and help my friends.
I’ll protect them and defend.
A buddy, that’s ME!

What should you do if someone bullies you?
Ignore them or walk away.

What if they still bully you?
Tell them to STOP!

If they still bully you?
Get a friend to help you.

And if they still bully you?
Then tell an adult.

B-u-d-d-y
I’m going to be a buddy.
I will never be a bully.
I’ll say NO to bullies!
B-u-d-d-y
That is what I’ll be.
I’ll be kind and help my friends.
I’ll protect them and defend.
A buddy, that’s ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaWZZnFww0

*Make a class book of the song by running off the lyrics as shown. Have the children close their eyes as you sing and get a picture in their brain. Let them choose which sentence they’d like to illustrate, and then put them together to make a book.
     

*Role play the steps in the song. Let children take turns being “bullies” and “buddies” and acting out what they should do.

*Make a book called “A Buddy Is…” where each child contributes a drawing of how they can be a buddy.

*Run off “Buddy Coupons” for children to distribute to friends who are kind to them. You could also have a “Buddy Board” where children write the names of buddies.
                         

*Draw a T-chart on the board and let children suggest characteristics of buddies and bullies.