photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Sunday, February 25, 2018

THE HAPPY READING DANCE!

I like to read, 
Oh, yes, I do! 
I like to read. 
I’ll read with you!! 

Children have always longed to do what they see adults do.  When I was a little girl I saw my parents and older brother and sister read, and I wanted to learn how to do it, too!  I used to beg my mother to teach me how to read, and she'd smile and say, "You'll have to wait until you go to first grade."  And I did learn to read on that first day in first grade.  "Look, look, look!  Oh, look, look, look!"  It was magic!  Can you believe that I'm a pretty good reader and I didn't learn until I was over six years old?  Go figure!!!!
                                  
Since children don't see adults reading in their homes, we have to really "sell" reading in our classrooms.  When you read to your class remember to say, “I love to read. It’s so special to read with you.” If your class is reading independently you can comment, “WOW! This is a class of amazing readers! It makes me happy to see all of you reading and enjoying books like I do.” 


One time when I visited a school I said to the teacher, “I can't believe how well your students can read!” The teacher smiled and said so all could hear, “You know, my children have learned how much fun it is to read and they just want to read all the time!” That’s the power of positive thinking and the power that we have to influence children’s feelings and interests.

Here’s a chant that my daughter wrote a few years ago. It’s done like “Cadence” where children repeat each line.

We Like Books 
We like to read, yes we do. (Slap thighs and step from side to side.)
We like books. How about you? (Point to self and then others.)

Books are my friends wherever I go.
When I have a book I’m never alone. (Shake head.)

Search for treasure, solve mysteries. (Hand over forehead.)
Meet famous people from history.

Ride on a dinosaur long ago.
Or fly to the future with a UFO. (Slap hands.) 


You can travel to faraway places. (Arms out like airplane.)
Mountains, beaches, or desert oasis.

Learn about pandas and rattle snakes. (Palms together like snake.)
Just look in a book, that’s all it takes.

If you’re feeling sad or blue (Look sad.)
Books are always there for you. (Smile and open palms like a book.)

*Encourage your students to talk about why they like to read.  Let them each contribute a page for a class book called "We Like Books."