photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Monday, June 4, 2018

#1 SEL RECIPE - I LIKE YOU!

Look at this book I wrote in 1997.  "Wonderful Me!" "Friends, Friends, Friends!" "Feelings and Emotions," "Same and Different," "Changes"...same song, different verse. 
                                    

Those topics have always been important to the WHOLE child. We know that a positive self-concept, self-regulation, and knowing how to get along with others is critical for students today and in the future.

According to CASEL, social-emotional learning can be defined as: “the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.”

My goal over the next 25 days will be to give you "ready to use activities" each day that can promote SEL in your classroom in the new school year.

You'll find the blogs organized around the following categories:
· Activities to help children develop self-confidence
· Songs and cheers to create a classroom family
· Techniques to encourage self-regulation
· Partner projects to develop social relations
· Games and ideas for small group learning


P.S.  I'm also going to share a picture of an activity from our new CENTERS FOR PRE-K packet each day.  

Thanks for joining me on this adventure!

SEL #1

I don't care where I go or what age group I work with, all I have to do is sing this song and I've got them in the palm of my hand.  Basically, we all just want to be recognized and feel like someone likes us!

I Like You!  (Tune:  "Skip to My Lou")
I like you,there’s no doubt about it.      (Point to self and then a child.)
I like you,there’s no doubt about it.  
I like you,there’s no doubt about it.
You are my good friend.


You like me, there's no doubt about it.  (Point to a child and then self.)
You like me, there's no doubt about it.
You like me, there's no doubt about it.
We are all good friends.
                      
*Insert children's names in the song.  For example: 
I like Joey, there's no doubt about it.  
I like April, there's no doubt about it.  
I like Leo there's no doubt about it.  
We are all good friends.

Hint!  Glue googly eyes to craft sticks and give one to each child to use as you sing.

Twinkle Friends
Here's a sweet song to the traditional tune that can help children connect with their friends.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star. (Children face partner and touch
                                           fingers gently in the air.)

What a special friend you are.

From your head to your toes, (Point to head and then toes.)
We are special friends you know. (Hold hands and circle around.)
Twinkle, twinkle, little star, (Gently touch fingers to partner.)
What a special friend you are. (Hug friend.)
Now go find another friend (Children walk around the room
                     and find another friend.)

And we’ll twinkle once again.

*Continue singing as children walk around the room and "twinkle" with different friends.
                                                                      


*Teach children how to give their friends a "double" handshake.
Children face their partner and shake hands with their right hand. Next, they cross over and shake with their left hands. Their arms should form an “X” as they do this.
                      IMG_3219.jpg


How do you manage learning centers????  You'll find lots of strategies in our new book.
      


  

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Im-Only-4-Ultimate-Center-Packet-for-Pre-Kindergarten-3821900