photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Saturday, April 27, 2019

A POEM FOR YOUR POCKET

A Poem 

By Dr. Holly 

A poem, a poem 
Is a very special thing. 
It takes the words 
And makes them sing. 

A poem is a present, 
A poem is a treat 
With words piled like ice-cream 
In your bowl to eat! 

A poem, a poem 
Is a treasure and an art 
So always carry one 
With you in your heart.



To make a poetry pocket seal an envelope, cut it in half, punch holes, and tie on a string. Children can decorate these and then wear them around their neck.  Let them choose a favorite poem to keep in their pocket.

Poem a Day
Cut the pocket off an old pair of pants and staple it to the bulletin board.  Put copies of your favorite poems for children in the pocket.  Start each day by choosing a poem from the pocket to share with your class.



Here are some of my favorite poems I’ve used as a teacher over the years. It’s funny that some days I can’t remember my neighbor’s names, but these poems flow easily out of my mouth and brain! Proof once again of the power and beauty of giving children a poem and a song!!!!

MY WHISTLE
I bought a wooden whistle,
But it wouldn’t whistle.
I bought a steel whistle,
But it still wouldn’t whistle.
I bought a tin whistle,
And now I “tin” whistle!


THE MOON
I see the moon,
And the moon sees me.
God bless the moon,
And God bless me!


WISH UPON A STAR
Star light,
Star bright.
First star I see tonight.
Wish I may,
Wish I might,
Have this wish come true tonight!


FIND A PENNY
Find a penny.
Pick it up.
All day long
You’ll have good luck!
But if you give
It to a friend
Then your luck
Will never end.


LADY BUG
Lady bug, lady bug
Fly away home.
Hour house is on fire
And your children are lone.


WORMS
Nobody loves me,
Everybody hates me.
Guess I’ll go eat worms.
Short, fat, squishy ones,
Long, skinny, slimy ones,
See how they wiggle and squirm.