photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

PLEASE DON'T YELL!

I wonder if teachers realize how “yelling” or using a harsh voice really impacts students?  You could technically be a master teacher, but if you “yell” it certainly chips away at the positive image. Kids often evaluate teachers by saying, “He never yells,” or “She yells all the time.” 


If You’re Ready to Get Started (Leigh Ann Towater)
(Tune: “If You’re Happy and You Know It”)
If you’re ready to get started say, I AM! (Children say, “I am!”)
If you’re ready to get started say, I AM! (Children say, “I am!”)
If you say that you’re not,
You’re going to miss a lot.
If you’re ready to get started say, I AM! (Children say, “I am!)

Echo Chant (Martha Edwards)
1, 2 (Students repeat each line.)
3, 4
We’re not talking.
Anymore!
5, 6
7, 8
Standing quietly (or lining up or sitting down, etc.)
Would be great.
9, 10
Let’s begin!
                                                    
Student Heroes
5-4-3-2-1-zero (Hold up hand and put down one finger at a time.)
I’m looking for my
student heroes. (Make goggles with thumbs and fingers and place around eyes like glasses.)

*Call the names of children who are sitting quietly.


Henry Hush 
(Hold up your index finger as you sing this song to the tune of “London Bridge.”)
Henry Hush says,
“Please be quiet.” (Pretend index finger is Henry.)
“Please be quiet.”
“Please be quiet.”
Henry Hush says, “Please be quiet.”
Shh! Shh! Shh! (Finger on lips as you lower your voice.)


If You Can Hear My Voice
In a normal voice say:
If you can hear my voice, clap your hands one time.
In a softer voice say:
If you can hear my voice, clap your hands two times.
In a whisper voice say:
If you can hear my voice, please look at me.

Continue lowering your voice until children are focused on you.

Looking!
I am looking.
What do I see?
I see (student, class) sitting (standing, whatever you need)
Properly.

Hint! Lower your voice each time you say this until children are quiet.

Volume Control
Some children have a difficult time monitoring their voice level.  How about having a picture of a lion, a mouse, and a child? When they can talk in a regular voice put up the child. When you want them to use a whisper voice post the mouse, and when they can use a loud voice (like when they go outside) put up the lion.
                           


Songs, Chants, Poems- Practice singing songs or saying rhymes with a “lion,” “mouse,” or “normal” voice.