photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, September 22, 2016

MY GREAT STATE!

A teacher from Indiana sent me a text asking for this chant because they are celebrating Indiana’s bicentennial. No matter what state you live it, it’s important for the children to know the name of their state and have a sense of pride. It’s also good for oral language because children repeat each line.
                                               
Hint! Have children sign the first letter in their state to prompt them for the song.

Chorus:
State name.  (Children repeat each line.)
State name.
State name.
Is the best, is the best, is the best state.

Boys and girls come to school.
They learn to read and write.
Making books and writing words -
They really are so bright.
Chorus

Boys and girls learn to count.
They also know their shapes.
They learn to add and subtract.
Their teachers think they’re great.
Chorus

Boys and girls make new friends.
They learn to follow rules.
They laugh and cheer and sing a lot.
It’s cool to be in school.
Chorus

Hint! The more dramatic you are on the chorus, the more fun it will be. Sing like an opera star, loud, and then end in a whisper.

Note! This song was originally the “Alligator Chant.” I adapted it for different age levels (such as “kindergarten” or “first grade”), but it also works for the state.

Here is another simple tune to help children identify their city, state, country, and continent.

My World (Tune: “The Wheels on the Bus”)
In this song, you’ll have to fill in the name of your school, city, state, country, continent, and planet.
The name of my school is ___, ___, ___.
The name of my school is ___.
That’s the name of my school.

The name of my city is...

The name of my state is...

The name of my country is United States…

The name of my continent is North America…

The name of my planet is Earth…

State Song (Jodie Slusher)
Tune: “Farmer in the Dell”
Virginia is our state.
Virginia is our state.
Richmond is our capitol.
Virginia is our state.

*Insert your state and capitol.

My State Book

Make a state book based on your state flower, animal, famous people, state bird, capitol, flag, insect, famous places, etc. Children can become EXPERTS about their state.

For example: New Hampshire, New Hampshire, what do you see?
I see the Capitol in Concord looking at me.
Capitol in Concord, what do you see?
I see the purple lilac looking at me…
                             
*The teacher who shared this idea said her kids loved reading this book and the parents were so impressed that their children knew more than they did about the state!