photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, November 7, 2019

MANNERS, PLEASE!

Manners can take you a long way in this world - although they are not included in most state standards! Manners are part of the “hidden curriculum” that we can nurture daily in little ways. This is a perfect time of year to talk about thanking others and what it means to be polite. Here’s a simple echo song to encourage children to use their “magic words.”

I Have Manners (Tune: “Are You Sleeping?” - Children repeat each line.)
I have manners,
I have manners,
Every day,
Every day.
If I want something
If I want something
“Please,” I’ll say.
“Please,” I’ll say.

I have manners,
I have manners,
Every day,
Every day.
When someone is nice
When someone is nice
“Thanks,” I’ll say.
“Thanks,” I’ll say.

*Role play when to say, “please,” “thank you,” “you’re welcome,” and “excuse me.”

*Teach children these signs and use them as prompts:
     Please - palm open on chest and circle around
     Thank you - fingers on chin and then down to palm

*Let the children use puppets to model what to do in similar situations:


     How do you greet a new student?


     How do you call a friend and invite them for a play date?


     What do you do when someone pays you a compliment?


     What do you do when someone gives you a gift?


     What do you do when someone has a book that you want?


                                  
Table Manners
There are several good books about manners, but I liked to use a stuffed animal to demonstrate negative behavior. I’d ask the children to help me show the toy the correct thing to do.
     “Coco always chews with his mouth open. Who can show Coco the correct way to chew your food?”
     "Coco just grabs food that he wants. What is the polite thing to do when you want someone to pass you food?”
     “Coco eats his food and then runs out to play. What should Coco say before he leaves the table?”