photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

MARDI GRAS

Happy "Mardi Gras" - aka "Fat Tuesday"!





I was fortunate to be invited to Oberlin, LA, last week and I learned a few new things about Mardi Gras. Do you know the meaning behind Mardi Gras? Hundreds of years ago on Ash Wednesday as part of their Catholic faith people gave up meat for 40 days. On the Tuesday before they used up all their "fat" meat. So today many people still celebrate "Fat Tuesday" by partying before giving up something for Lent.

I stopped by Oakdale School on Friday afternoon to do a concert and I got to see their Mardi Gras parade. It was one of the CUTEST things I've ever seen in my life! I was so overwhelmed by the children's happiness that I started to cry! The pre-k and K children decorated "floats" (boxes) with their parents. The primary grade children lined the halls and the little ones paraded down the hall throwing out beads and candy. Talk about HAPPY children and a SPECIAL memory! Instead of testing and pushing skills I think we need to take time to give children a happy memory like those LA teachers!!!!  What you and I need to remember is that for some children experiences like this are as good as it gets for them!  All children deserve a little JOY, candy, and FUN every now and then!!!!



Mardi Gras colors are purple (justice), green (faith), and yellow (power). King cakes are a popular treat decorated with those colors. There's always a little plastic "baby" baked in the king cake and the person who gets the slice with the "baby" has to buy the next king cake. One teacher told me how her children make their own king cakes from a crescent roll. They spread butter on the roll and then sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar. An M & M is used as their "baby" and they roll it up and bake it. Then they spread icing and sprinkle sugar with Mardi Gras colors on it. Just look at those faces!!!!


                                            


As I was walking down the halls I saw these fantastic bulletin boards focused on social-emotional skills.  It made my heart happy!

 























Yes, AMAZING things do happen in Allen Parish Schools!!!