photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN?

Today's blog gives a little love to social studies.  It's amazing how many children don't even know the name of their state.  These activities provide a challenge for younger children and older children to become EXPERTS about their state.


My State Book
Make a state book based on your state flower, animal, famous people, state bird, capitol, flag, insect, famous places, etc.  (You can find these free on the internet.)  
For example: 

New Hampshire, New Hampshire, what do you see?
I see the Capitol in Concord looking at me.

Capitol in Concord, what do you see?
I see the purple lilac looking at me.

Purple lilac, purple lilac, what do you see?
I see the purple finch looking at me...and so forth


*The teacher who shared this idea said her kids loved reading this book and the parents were so impressed that their children knew more than they did about the state!


State Song (Jodie Slusher)
(Tune: “Farmer in the Dell”)
Virginia is our state. 
Virginia is our state. 
Richmond is our capitol.
Virginia is our state.



The World Family
(Tune: “The Wheels on the Bus”)
In this song, you can fill in the name of your school, city, state, country, continent, and planet.

The name of my school is ___, ___, ___.
The name of my school is ___.
That’s the name of my school.

The name of my city is...

The name of my state is...

The name of my country is United States.

The name of my continent is North America.

The name of my planet is Earth.

We’re all part of the world family, family, family.
We’re all part of the world family.
Let’s live in love and peace.

More!  Let children identify their city, state, country, and continent on maps and globes.