photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

SHOW ME CARDS

It's time to give math a little love with "Show Me" cards.  These cards can be used to reinforce almost any math skill you are working on. They engage all children and give you the opportunity to quickly assess who has mastered a skill and who needs more help.
                                      Make a set of “show me” cards for each child by writing the numerals 0-10 on index cards. Have children store their cards in a zip bag in their desk or cubby. When you have a few extra minutes, have the children get their cards and arrange them on the floor or table in numerical order from 1-10. Use the cards for some of the games below. 

Here's where you can download number cards.  These store nicely in an envelope.
      
https://www.eduplace.com/math/mthexp/g1/visual/pdf/vs_g1_19.pdf

How Many?
Clap, snap, or stomp a set. Show me how many.
How many toes do you have? Show me.

Mystery Number
I’m thinking of a number between 4 and 6. Show me.
I’m thinking of a number two more than seven. Show me.

Math Facts
4 plus 2. Show me.
9 minus 3. Show me.

Number Stories
I had four pennies. I found three more. Show me how many I have in all.


Decompose Numbers – How many ways can you make seven?

Fact Families - Call out numbers in a fact family. Can children write the equations in that fact family?

Odd and Even – Sort the odd and even numbers.

Place Value - Put 3 in the tens spot and two in the ones spot. What’s the number?

Tap Happy
Children sit on the floor facing their partner. Place one set of the “show me” cards on the floor between them. The teacher calls out math facts or number stories. Who can tap the correct answer first? Keep score if you wish.



Hint!  For younger children start with 1-5.  For older children make cards 0-20.