photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Saturday, January 2, 2021

WHAT'S THE BUZZZZZZ?

The big buzz word for early childhood educators in 2021 needs to be SEL - SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING! (Actually, it is critical for all of us!) As I was pondering blogs for the New Year I realized this might be the most meaningful topic. It's time to bring back PLAY and GOOD FEELINGS and FUN!

Social emotional learning is nothing new. Look at this book I wrote in 1997. "Wonderful Me!" "Friends, Friends, Friends!" "Feelings and Emotions," "Same and Different," "Changes"...same song, different verse.

Those topics have always been important to the WHOLE child. We know that a positive self-concept, self-regulation, and knowing how to get along with others is critical for students today and in the future.

According to CASEL (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning), social-emotional learning can be defined as: “the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.”

My goal over the next few days will be to give you "ready to use activities" each day that can promote SEL in your classroom in the 2021.

You'll find the blogs organized around the following categories:
· Activities to help children develop self-confidence
· Songs and cheers to create a classroom family
· Techniques to encourage self-regulation
· Partner projects to develop social relations
· Games and ideas for small group learning

Note! I can't solve all of the problems in the world, but what I can do is try and give you some positive suggestions, tips, and ideas. I realize that under current circumstances you may not be able to do some of these activities, such as handshakes or play dough, but please feel free to adapt them or save them for a happier time!


I LIKE YOU!  YOU LIKE ME!

I don't care where I go or what age group I work with, all I have to do is sing this song and I've got them in the palm of my hand. Basically, we all just want to be recognized and feel like someone likes us!

These tunes are a good example of "positive self-talk." When children sing about being special and having friends, they are more likely to believe it and act accordingly.

I Like You! (Tune: "Skip to My Lou")
I like you,there’s no doubt about it. (Point to self and then a child.)
I like you,there’s no doubt about it.
I like you,there’s no doubt about it.
You are my good friend.

You like me, there's no doubt about it. (Point to a child and then self.)
You like me, there's no doubt about it.
You like me, there's no doubt about it.
We are all good friends.


*Insert children's names in the song. For example: 
I like Joey, there's no doubt about it.
I like April, there's no doubt about it.
I like Leo there's no doubt about it.
We are all good friends.

Hint! Glue googly eyes to craft sticks and give one to each child to use as you sing.

Special Me (Tune: "Twinkle Little Star")
Special, special, special me (Point to self.)
I'm as special as can be. (Open and close fingers.)
There is no one quite like me. (Shake head.)
I'm as good as I can be.
Special, special, special me, (Point to self.)
I'm as I can be. (Hug self.)


*Encourage each child to say something that makes them special.

Friends, Friends - 1, 2, 3
Friends, friends, 1, 2, 3,  (Hold up fingers one at a time.)
All my friends are here with me.  (Palms up.)
You're my friend,  (Point to various friends.)
You're my friend,
You're my friend,
You're my friend.
Friends, friends, 1, 2, 3,
All my friends are here with me.



*Demonstrate sign language for "friends" before singing the song. What does it mean to be a friend? How do friends treat each other?