photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, October 25, 2012

PAGANS AND PARTY POOPERS


I guess it comes as no surprise to most of you that I love holidays.  I can’t help it!  Some of my happiest memories as a child and as a teacher are centered around holidays.  Holidays give us something to look forward to and are an excuse to put a little fun in our lives.  I’m really not a bad person because I like to celebrate.

On the other hand, there is a growing movement toward eliminating all holidays from schools.  I certainly understand why and I respect that decision.  Those people are no more party poopers than I am a pagan. 

But you creative teachers have found a wonderful way to celebrate and have fun while avoiding the traditional trappings!  For example, one teacher told me that they do a “friendship celebration” instead of Valentine’s Day.  Each child brings a fruit and they make a fruit salad they can enjoy together.

Last week in Texas several teachers shared these ideas:

Nursery Rhyme Parade  (Carly Kettler, Erika Ahumada, & Jennifer Ruiz)
To culminate a nursery rhyme unit, the children dress up like nursery rhyme characters on Halloween and parade throughout the school in their costumes.  Afterwards they have nursery rhyme themed stations with hands-on activities.
“Spider Cookie” – Children create spiders from Oreo cookies with licorice legs and red hots for eyes.
“Humpty Dumpty” – Children balance plastic eggs on spoons and walk.
“Baa Baa Black Sheep” – Children do finger painting.

Cowboys and Cowgirls (Anne Alff)
After studying about Texas in October, the children dress up like cowboys and cowgirls.  They have a rodeo, chili, queso and chips, etc.

P.S.  I can’t help it, but I’ve got one more Halloween idea!   Let children squirt glue on a sheet of wax paper.  Add some wiggly eyes.  Dry overnight.  Punch a hole, insert string, and you’ve got a necklace.  These don’t have to be ghosts, you know.  They could be monsters or aliens or anything else you would like them to be.  So if you ever see a holiday activity on my site, you just go ahead and borrow it, adapt it, or steal it and make it work for you!