photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, January 22, 2015

SHOW ME CARDS


This is a simple idea that will engage all of your students and can be used in a variety of ways to reinforce math skills. It's perfect if you finish a lesson early or have five minutes at the end of the day.

Make a set of “show me” cards for each child by writing the numerals 0-10 on 3” squares of heavy cardstock. Have children store these cards in a zip bag in their desk. When you have a few extra minutes, ask the children to get their cards and arrange them on the floor or table in numerical order from 0-10. Use the cards for some of the games below.

How Many? 

Clap, snap, or stomp a set. Show me how many. (Students hold up the correct card.)  

  • How many toes do you have? Show me.
  • How many days in the week?  Show me.


Sets

Make a set with felt pieces on the flannel board. Show me how many.


Mystery Number

I’m thinking of a number between 4 and 6. Show me. I’m thinking of a number two more than seven. Show me.


Math Facts

4 plus 2. Show me. 9 minus 3. Show me.


Number Stories

I had four pennies. I found three more. Show me how many I have in all.


Fact Families

Call out numbers in a fact family. Can children write the equations in that fact family?


Decompose Numbers

How many ways can you make seven?



Expanded Notation

Put 3 in the tens spot and two in the ones spot. What’s the number?


Odd and Even

Sort the odd and even numbers.


Slap Happy Math

Children get a partner and lay a set of numeral cards on the floor between them. The teacher calls out different math problems. The first child to slap the correct numeral gets a point.