photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, June 17, 2022

IT'S SUM SUM SUMMERTIME!!!

Several years ago I did a “Summer PD” (professional development) every day for a month. These were short little videos with some of my favorite ideas. I’m going to rewind those blogs this coming month so you’ll have materials that you can create for your BACK TO SCHOOL KIT.

I like to think of my blog as an “antique” store with OLD ideas that are valuable because children need hands-on and fun activities now more than ever.  I invite you to pick, choose, adapt, and make these ideas work for you.

I know that the past two years have been STRESSFUL and FRUSTRATING. Make a commitment to yourself that each day when you go back to school that you are going to SHUT YOUR DOOR and do something FUN every day just because…just because you want to.

DON’T GIVE UP!

DON’T LET THEM TAKE AWAY YOUR JOY!

SING A SONG, PLAY A GAME, HOLD HANDS AND DANCE, LISTEN TO THEM, TELL A STORY, GIVE THEM FREE TIME INSIDE AND OUTSIDE.

WHAT AN AMAZING OPPORTUNITY YOU HAVE TO HELP EACH CHILD BELIEVE FOR ONCE IN THEIR LIFE THAT THEY ARE SPECIAL AND IT’S TRULY A WONDERFUL WORLD!!!!

 

CLIP IT


Why? letters, sight words, names

What? jumbo craft sticks, clothes pins, markers (Sharpies work best.)

How? Write the letters of the alphabet on the clothespins. Write words on the craft sticks. Children match letters and clip them on the stick to make the words.

*Use these at the beginning of the year with children’s names.

*Place in a center for children to practice sight words or spelling words. As a follow up ask students to write the words.

                                                     
Hint! Store these in pencil boxes.

If you’re going shopping this week here are some supplies you might want to get for the projects I'll be demonstrating the rest of the month:
Spring clothes pins
Shower curtain liner (opaque)
Fly swatter
3 pairs of white cotton garden gloves
Jumbo craft sticks
Magnetic letters and numbers
E6000 glue (I LOVE this stuff! It’s the best craft glue ever!)
Sharpie markers
File folders
Clear sheet protectors
Visor
Toy cars
Swing trashcan
Bathroom cups

Hint! If you don’t want to make these yourself, you can save the ideas to give to parent volunteers when the school year begins.

P.S. I am so grateful to all of you who read my blog. Believe me, writing this is a task of love. So many teachers have touched my life and shared with me over my 50+ year journey that it’s PAYBACK time. The truth is, writing this blog keeps me from getting dementia. Seriously, what would I do if I didn’t do this? So thank you! Thank you!