photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Saturday, January 14, 2023

ASL FOR CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT

DON'T SAY IT!  SIGN IT!

Here are some signs that may be useful for classroom management. I'd introduce one sign at a time (or maybe each day). Practice that sign and then teach another one and then another one...
You might be surprised that the children will focus on your hand more than your voice!


Look! Listen! Learn (“L” by eyes, ears, and then brain.)

Stand Up (Two fingers standing on palm and then point up.)

Sit Down (Two fingers sitting on 2 fingers of other hand and point down.)

Stop (One palm open. Pretend to chop it with the other palm.)

Finished (Brush hands away from chest.)

More (Fingertips touching.)

Understand (Wiggle index finger near brain.)

Don’t Understand (Shake head “no” as you wiggle index finger.)

Please (One palm open on chest and make a circular motion.)

Thank you (Touch fingertips on chin and extend out.)

I love you! (Fingers up with middle finger and ring finger bent down.)




Sing and Sign
(“Where Is Thumbkin?” – Children repeat each line.)
Where is A? (Hands behind back.)
Here I am. (Make sign for “a.”)
What do you say, A?
/a/, /a/, /a/.
Continue using other letters and making the manual signs.

The Alphabet in My Hands
(“He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”)
I’ve got A /a/ /a/ in my hands. (Sign the letter “a.”)
I’ve got A /a/ /a/ in my hands.
I’ve got A /a/ /a/ in my hands
And I can read.
Continue signing and singing other letters.

Hint! Encourage the children to make “strong” letters. As children tighten up muscles in their hands, they will also be strengthening small motor skills.


Alphabet Book 
Take photos of your students making the signs and use them to make a class ABC book.

Check out this FREE ASL app:



Here are other websites with sign language videos:
aslpro.com
handspeak.com
lifeprint.com