photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE NEW YEAR!

I was cleaning up my desk and files for the New Year and I found some fantastic classroom management tips that are worth repeating. I guarantee you’ll find one or two new ideas today and tomorrow that you can add to your bag of teacher tricks. Here are some ideas to keep those little hands still. 

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Lap (Jillian Frederick)
(Tune: “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes”)
Head, shoulders, knees and lap, knees and lap.
Head, shoulders, knees and lap, knees and lap.
Legs are criss-cross applesauce.
Head, shoulders, knees and lap!

Secret Hands (Melinda Ainslie)
Melinda said that when her daughter started kindergarten she came home from school and asked, “Mama, can you keep a secret? When you put your hands together like this (cross your fingers), it’s MAGIC because you can see better and hear better!”

Talk to Your Hands
If children are wiggling their hands, ask them to please talk to their hands and tell them to be quiet.

Hands on Top (Tangia Dickenson)
When you want the children to stop and listen say:
"Hands on top. (Put your hands on your head.)  Everybody stop." (Children put their 

hands on their heads and feeze.)

Attention Grabber (Sherry Raessler)
I am looking.
What do I see?
I see (student, class) sitting (or standing or whatever you need) properly.

Hand Poem (Barb Williams)
Hands up high. (Hands in the air.)
Hands down low. (Hands down.)
Hide those hands, now. (Hands behind your back.)
Where did they go? (Shrug shoulders.)
One hand up. (Right hand up.)
The other hand, too. (Left hand up.)
Clap them, (Clap.)
Fold them, (Fold in lap.)
Now we’re through!

Let’s Make a Circle (Val Minihan)
(Tune: “Lassie and Laddie”)
Let’s make a circle, a circle, a circle.
Let’s make a circle and hold hands right now.
Hold hands with a friend.
The circle won’t end.
Let’s make a circle and hold hands right now.

I’m a Little Kindergartener (Brenda Hall)
(Tune: “I’m a Little Teapot”)
I’m a little kindergartener (first grader, preschooler, etc.)
Kind and smart. (Touch index finger to brain.)
Here is my hand. (Extend one hand.)
Here is my heart. (Touch your heart.)
When I get excited I want to shout – (Wave arms in the air.)
All my joys come tumbling out! (Roll arms around.)