photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Saturday, March 28, 2020

PRIME TIME CIRCLE TIME


Here's a link to the video I did yesterday on PRIME TIME Circle time:

I’ve always believed that you shouldn’t “talk the talk unless you’ve walked the walk.” I admit I have never done circle time online so I shouldn’t even be doing this video and blog. However, when a teacher reached out to me I felt I needed to help and share what I could. I think we are all treading and learning and growing in an unknown territory right now. Although I can’t help you with the technical end, I can give you some songs and ideas for the content of your circle time. Let’s hold hands and figure this out!

I asked my friend Cheri Winton Bromley for some input on Prime Time Circle Time. She had some brilliant advice (as usual) and said, “Remember Romper Room and the magic mirror?” Some of you might be too young to remember this television show where the host would look in the mirror and say:

"Romper, bomper, stomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, have all my friends had fun at play?"

  
(I glued fake jewels to an old picture frame to make my magic mirror.)

Then she’d call out different children’s names and say, “I see George and I see Monica and I see…” I was always waiting and hoping she’d say my name, but she never did.

*USE YOUR STUDENTS’ NAMES.

The Romper Room lady and Mr. Rogers were masters at engaging an audience they couldn’t actually see or hear. Yet, remember how Mr. Rogers would ask a question and then pause as if listening to the children.

*ASK QUESTIONS AND THEN PAUSE AS IF LISTENING.

Mr. Rogers also talked very slowly. Without a physical presence it might take your students a little longer to process the verbal information.

*TALK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY. DON’T BE IN A HURRY!

Remember the real reason you are doing this. It’s not about “teaching” them; it’s about touching their hearts and helping them connect with their classroom family.

*MAKE THEM FEEL SECURE, LOVED.

*Nothing succeeds like success. What did your children enjoy most in the classroom? Remember their favorite songs, cheers, and stories and repeat those.

*GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO SMILE ABOUT!


TIPS AND TRICKS FOR CIRCLE TIME

Quit while you are ahead! Don’t make circle time too long! Start slow and you can add more activities as you go along.

Follow a basic routine. Doing similar activities every day will make children feel secure. Include brain breaks so they can get up and wiggle. For example:

     Piddle Time
     Attention Grabber and Welcome (sitting)
     Good Morning Song (standing)
     Active Learning - Alphabet song or math song (standing)
     Let’s Learn! (sitting)
          Engage them with a finger play
          Share a morning message, read a book, or do a short lesson

     Sing and Dance (standing)
          “Tooty Ta” or “The Cool Bear Hunt” or other favorite song
     Cheer - Words of encouragement - Challenge for the day (sitting)

     Good –bye song


PIDDLE TIME
 

One of my first supervisors suggested we start each morning with “piddle time.” What is “piddle time”? It’s a few minutes at the beginning of the lesson where children can chat and settle down. One teacher said she left the mute button off at first because the children were so excited just to see their friends and talk.

Note! I think whether you turn the “mute” on or off will depend on the size of your group and the chatter you are comfortable with.

ATTENTION GRABBER AND WELCOME (sitting)

Use a song to capture their attention. I love this one that Elizabeth Hofmaster shared with me several years ago. It goes to the tune of “If You’re Happy and You Know It.”

If you know your teacher loves you blow her a kiss.
If you know your teacher loves you blow her a kiss.
If you know your teacher loves you and she would really likes to hug you...
If you know your teacher loves you blow her a kiss.

Here’s another attention grabber that I’ve used for years. It goes to the tune of “Skip to My Lou.”

I like you, there’s no doubt about it. (Point to self and then a friend.)
I like you, there’s no doubt about it.
I like you, there’s no doubt about it.
You are my good friend. (Point to friend and then self.)

You like me, there’s no doubt about it. (Point to a friend and then self.)
You like me, there’s no doubt about it.
You like me, there’s no doubt about it.
You are my good friend.

Welcome them with a name song.

Hello Song (Tune: “Good Night, Ladies”)
Hello, (child’s name).
Hello, (child’s name).
Hello (child’s name).
I'm so glad to see you!

Continue singing all the children’s names in your classroom.

Little Red Box
Cover a small box with red paper. Write children’s names on sentence strips and glue their picture by their name. Pull one name at a time out of the red box and sing this song to the tune of “Polly Wolly Doodle.”
I wish I had a little red box
To put my child’s name in.
I’d take him/her out and go hug, hug, hug (hug self)
And put him/her back again.
…Continue singing each child’s name.


GOOD MORNING SONG (standing)
 

Have children stand and sing a song like “Rise and Shine.”
 

Rise and shine and welcome to school today.
Rise and shine and welcome to school today.
Rise and shine and welcome to school today .
We’re so glad you’re here!


Hint!  Insert “online school,” “Zoom school,” your grade level or school’s name as you sing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyAD2OoFuoY


ACTIVE LEARNING! (standing)

Literacy – Review sounds with an alphabet song.  Sing the traditional ABC’s with different voices. For example: monster style, mouse, with a cold, opera, etc.

Kick Box the ABC’s

 

Happy Birthday Letters

Karate Writing


 

Math – Sing calendar songs or counting songs.

Macarena Count to 100

 

Country Countdown


 




LET’S LEARN! (sitting)
 

Get children seated by singing this song to “Shortnin’ Bread.”

Everybody have a seat, have a seat, have a seat.
Everybody have a seat on the floor.
Not on the ceiling, not on the door.
Everybody have a seat on the floor.
 

Focus their attention with a finger play.

Open, shut them. (Open and close fists.) 

Open, shut them. 
Give a little clap, clap, clap. (Clap 3 times.) 
Open, shut them. (Open and close fists.) 
Open, shut them. 
Put them in your lap, lap, lap. (Put hands in your lap.) 
Open shut them...


Read a morning message from a class mascot (stuffed animal or puppet).


Read a book (Just for pleasure or to prompt a lesson.)



SING AND DANCE (standing)
 

Do a favorite song such as “Tooty Ta” or “The Cool Bear Hunt.”


CHEER and CHALLENGE 

How about a few cheers and a word of encouragement? I love this mantra:
     Teacher: Friends, what are you?
     Children: I am kind. (Touch heart.)
     I am smart. (Kiss brain.)
     I am important. (Hug self.)

Give them a special challenge for the day. It might be to teach their parents a song or finger play. They could look for shapes around the house. Or, maybe ask them to draw a picture or make a card and send it to someone they love.


GOOD-BYE SONG
 

Thank the children for joining you and say, “I hope you’ll come back and see me tomorrow.”

Sing this good-bye song to the tune of “She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain”
It is time to say “good-bye” to all my friends.
It is time to say “good-bye” to all my friends.
It is time to say “good-bye,”
give a smile and wink your eye.
It is time to say “good-bye” to all my friends.
Good-bye, friends. Yee haw!


TECH SUPPORT
Someone said that Kennesaw State University had some great tips for remote teaching and learning.
info@ksuiteach.org

Are there other sites that you have found that have been helpful to you?