photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, March 13, 2014

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

My webmaster sent this interesting tweak on assessment. I think most teachers would agree with me that testing has grown out of proportion. Education is not about children and learning – it’s about a cold, hard test score. 

Burzichelli, D-Gloucester, has introduced a bill that would require the commissioner of education to come up with ways to measure how active parents are in their children's learning. That information would be used as a mitigating factor when looking at student achievement, one of the things teachers will be evaluated on beginning next year…

"If there's not a partnership in the education of the child, there's a disadvantage to the teacher," Burzichelli told The Star-Ledger.


http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/opinion/editorials/teacher-evaluations-parents-matter/article_27b6b5bd-7d46-5be2-9ba6-64bb5111f109.html?mode=jqm#.Ux76iV3dKTw.

This whole assessment thing makes me ANGRY! Instead of teaching children, educators are spending their time testing. What’s the point? 40 years ago when I started teaching I didn’t have to worry about assessment and record keeping. But, you know what? I knew where each child was in my room. I knew their strengths, their weaknesses, and how to motivate them. I didn’t need to put them in front of a screen to have a computer tell me…I KNEW them from eye contact and hands-on experiences!

I know I’m preaching to the choir. It’s like trying to hold back the ocean, but at least there are some rumblings and grumblings that might indicate a change is coming. Never give up!

Children are like caterpillars. They need time to squirm and wiggle…create and explore…play and talk…do their own thing…and they will all FLY!!

Little Caterpillars
“Let’s go to sleep,” (Wiggle fingers.) 
the little caterpillars said,
as they tucked themselves (Fold fingers down.)
into bed.

They will awaken (Slowly open fingers.)
By and by,
And each one will be (Clasp thumbs and wiggle fingers like a butterfly.)
A lovely butterfly!