photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Monday, August 12, 2019

ACTIVE LEARNING #12 - SHOW ME

This is a “quickie” activity that you can use when you’ve got five minutes before lunch or at the end of the day. It works with a large group or small group to reinforce skills.

Show Me Math
Make a set of “show me” cards for each child by writing the numerals 0-10 on 3” squares of heavy cardstock. Have children store these cards in a zip bag in their desk. When you have a few extra minutes, ask the children to get their cards and arrange them on the floor or table in numerical order from 0-10. Use the cards for some of the games below.
*Adapt the number of cards to the ability of your students.


                                 
How Many?
The teacher claps, snaps, or stomps a set. Children listen and then hold up the correct number.

*Show me how many toes you have? How many thumbs at your table? Show me how many days in the week?

*Make a set with felt pieces on the flannel board. Show me how many.

Mystery Number
I’m thinking of a number between 4 and 6. Show me. I’m thinking of a number two more than seven. Show me.

Math Facts
4 plus 2. Show me.
9 minus 3. Show me.

Number Stories
I had four pennies. I found three more. Show me how many I have in all.
*Let children make up math stories for their friends.

Fact Families
Call out numbers in a fact family. Can children write the equations in that fact family?

Number Bonds
How many ways can you make seven?

Base Ten
Put 3 in the tens spot and two in the ones spot. What’s the number?

Odd and Even
Sort the odd and even numbers.

Slap Happy Math
Children get a partner and place one set of show me cards on the floor between them. The teacher calls out different math problems. The first child to slap the correct numeral gets a point.

Hint! Put a line on the bottom of each card to help the children identify the direction they should go.


Here's where you can download number cards. 
 
https://www.eduplace.com/math/mthexp/g1/visual/pdf/vs_g1_19.pdf


Show Me Reading

Make cards for letters and sounds you want to reinforce. 




CVC Words
Call out individual sounds for children to select. Blend to say the word.

Onset and Rime
Make a rime and then add different “onsets” to put in front of the rime to make words.

Singular and Plural
Children make nouns with letters and then add “s.”

Note!  You can make a frame to stand your letters up in similar to the one in Scrabble games. Fold a