photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Monday, August 10, 2020

WHAT DID YOU DO AT ONLINE SCHOOL TODAY?

Several years ago I wrote a poem called “What’s in Your Backpack?” It was meant to help parents understand how children learn through ACTIVE learning and PLAY.

I shared similar thoughts about how children learn through singing, dancing, finger plays, etc. at my recent “Dr. Jean’s Toolbox for the Virtual Classroom.” A teacher questioned, “But how do you help parents realize the value in these things?” Great question, so here’s an adaptation for distance learning.


WHAT DID YOU DO AT ONLINE SCHOOL TODAY?

What did you do
at school today?
Where are your worksheets?
Did you just play?

I sang a song with
Alphabet letters.
Those sounds will help
me read much better.

I counted and did some
Math facts, too.
I used my brain
Like a math whiz would do!

We I played a game
Called “I spy a shape.”
I found shapes in my room
It was great.

Story time is what
I always like best.
I can use my imagination
And give my body a rest.

My fingers got a workout
With finger plays.
Those same small muscles
Will help me write one day.

I sang and danced,
Laughed with friends, too.
I learned to take turns
And say “please” and “thank you.”

There will be time
For worksheets and tests,
But talking and playing
Is how I learn best.

I love to go to school!
Active learning for me!
I look, listen, and learn.
I’m glad to be me!