photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, June 23, 2023

TOP TEN SONGS - TOOTY TA

What's the point of doing the "Tooty Ta"?

oral language
auditory memory
phonological awareness
eye-hand coordination
following directions
sequence
pattern
repetition
crossing the midline
friendship

Teachers being REAL and connecting with their students in a FUN way!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXvh08Mnork

A neighbor said, “I heard your songs are good for children with autism. Do you work with children with autism?” I kept my cool as I responded, “I sing with ALL children. Music is a universal language that helps us love each other.” (I borrowed that “music helps us love each other” from Pete Seeger, but it’s true.)

Where am I going with this? I have a friend with a little granddaughter who has some physical issues and has to wear a brace on her leg. I remind her grandmother to just love her and pretend like there is nothing wrong. In my years as an educator I have seen children with no arms and legs “Tooty Ta” with me. I have had children with no arms write and draw with their toes. I have seen children in wheelchairs picked first to be on a kick ball team. I have had all the boys want to marry my little bald Lauren who had gone through chemotherapy. Why? Because if you don’t tell children they are different they won’t act different. It’s as simple as that!



I've even had teachers on mission trips to countries where children don't speak English send me photos of children enjoying "Tooty Ta."


Tooty Ta 
Tooty ta, tooty ta, tooty ta ta. (Children repeat.)
Tooty ta, tooty ta, tooty ta ta.
Thumbs up.
Tooty ta….
Thumbs up…Elbows back.
Tooty ta…
Thumbs up…Elbows back…feet apart.
Song continues as you add knees together, eyes shut, tongue out, turn around.

*Substitute initial consonants or digraphs you want to reinforce in the song.  For example, if you substituted /b/ for /t/ it would be “Booty ba, booty ba, booty ba ba…”