photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, June 1, 2023

#1 THE HEART OF A TEACHER

After doing a daily blog for over 10 years I decided to do something a little different this month. I have some "words of wisdom" from over five decades as an educator and seven decades as a human being. Each day I will share one of my overheads (Remember what those are?) that I used in my workshops. My goal is to fill your heart, encourage you, and help you remember why you became a teacher.

I'll also do a daily "throw back" idea. What's that? It's some "antique" activity from my "old" workshops that should not be forgotten.

It makes me sad when I hear that they've taken blocks and housekeeping out of kindergarten. It makes me sad that teachers don't have time to sing and dance because they are so busy pushing skills. It makes me sad that children are tapping and swiping instead of doing puzzles or creating with play dough.

What are we doing? Children will have a lifetime to use technology, but they have one chance in a lifetime to play and hold hands and make a mess and giggle with their friends.

What was your favorite thing about school when you were young? Treasure those times and promise yourself to try and share those special memories with your children this coming school year.


THROWBACK

Read the book THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD. Explain that in our classroom everyone says "I CAN" like the little engine.

Hint! Remind the children that we are AmeriCANS and not Americant's!

I Think I Can (Tune: “If You’re Happy and You Know It”)
I think I can are words I like to say.
I think I can are words I like to say.
In time I’ll get it right if I try with all my might.
I think I can are words I like to say.



Hint! Cover a Pringle's can with paper and glue on googly eyes. Pass the “eye can” around and encourage the children to complete this sentence: I CAN________.