photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, September 21, 2012

LEFT, RIGHT! RIGHT, LEFT!


Here I am in my sixties and I still have to look at my rings to know my left from my right!  I jokingly blame it on my kindergarten teacher Mrs. Myers because she’d say, “Show me your right hand” and it would look like my left hand.  The truth is that we need to remember to reverse movements when we model for children.  If we say show me your right hand, we actually have to hold up our left hand.  When we demonstrate how to make the numeral 3 in the air, we must do it backwards.  Confusing, I know, but with a little practice you’ll be a pro.  Another tip is to focus on the right hand.  Then what is leftover is always their “left.”

Sticker - Put a sticker on each child’s right hand and then play “Simon Says” or the “Hokey Pokey.”
Lotion - Rub lotion or scented lip balm on each child’s right hand.

Bracelet – Let children make bracelets out of pipe cleaners and wear them on their right hand.  Throughout the day call attention to their right hand…right ear…right leg…right foot, etc.

Flag – Trace around your right hand on construction paper and cut it out.  Place it near the flag so children can visually match up their right hand and then place it over their hearts.

Poem - Hold up your hands and stick out thumbs and index fingers as you say:        
         Which is my left?  Which is my right?
         Sometimes it’s hard to tell.
         But when I stick my thumbs out straight,
         My left will make an “L.”
Song - Teach children this song to the tune of “Up on the Housetop.”
         Here is my right hand way up high.  (Hold up right hand.)
         Here is my left hand touch the sky.  (Hold up left.)
         Right and left and roll out of sight.  (Roll hands around.)
         Now I know my left and right.  (Hold up left and then right.)