photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

LETTER SOUND CORRESPONDENCE

RF.K.3.  Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.

a.  Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondence by producing the primary or most frequent sounds for each consonant.

Letter Pops – Here’s a great tool for making letter-sound connections.  Purchase a set of magnetic letters and glue them to jumbo craft sticks.  (E6000 glue is my favorite!)  Pass out the letters and children can hold them up at the appropriate time in the songs below. 
*They can also match letter pops up to classroom print and use them to make CVC words.
Singing and Moving Letters – Here are some songs where children can sing and learn.

            What’s This Letter?
            (Tune:  “Bingo”)
            Oh, what’s this letter, do you know?
            What letter can this be – o
            /a/ /a/ /a/  It’s an A (shout)
            /a/ /a/ /a/   it’s an A!
            /a/ /a/ /a/   It’s an A!
            That is it’s name-o.
            b….z

            The Letters on the Bus
            (Tune:  “The Wheels on the Bus”)
            The letters on the bus all make their sounds,
            Make their sounds,
            Make their sounds.
            The letters on the bus all make their sounds
            All around the town.
            The B on the bus goes /b/ /b/ /b/, /b/ /b/ /b, /b/ /b/ /b/,
            The B on the bus goes /b/ /b/ /b/ all around the town.

            Who Let the Letters Out?
            (“Who Let the Dogs Out?”)
            Who let the A out?           
            /a/ /a/ /a/ /a/ /a/
            Who let the B out?  etc.

            Seven Little Letters
            (“Five Little Ducks”)
            (Choose 7 children to wear letter vests.)
            Seven little letters went out one day,            (Children hold hands            
            Over the hill and far away.                         in a circle.)
            When the teacher called /f/f/f/f/                       
            Only the letter f came back.                                   
            (Child wearing “f” skips to the teacher.)

            The Alphabet in My Mouth
            (“He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”)
            I’ve got the whole alphabet in my mouth.
            I’ve got the whole alphabet in my mouth.
            I’ve got the whole alphabet in my mouth,
            And I can read.
            I’ve got A - /a/ /a/ - in my mouth.           
            I’ve got B - /b/ /b/ - in my mouth.        
            I’ve got C - /c/ /c/ - in my mouth,
            And I can read.
*Take a photo of each child in the classroom with their mouth wide open.  Enlarge.  Glue a letter in the middle of each child’s mouth.  Put the pictures together to make class book.