Pick and Type
Standard: W 6, L 2d
Materials: plastic pail or basket, index cards with letters or words,
Directions: Children “pick” a letter or word from the pail and type it.
More! Use a minute timer so children can see how many words they
can type in five minutes.
Standard: RL 6, RL 9
Materials: several books by the same author, bag, scavenger hunt list
Directions: Choose several books by one of the children’s favorite authors.
Put them in a bag along with a list similar to the one below:
1. The author of these books is__________.
2. My favorite book is__________.
3. The funniest picture is__________.
4. The book about a bully is_________.
5. The book about a party is_________.
6. I wish the author would write another book about____.
Standard: Geometry – compose shapes
Materials: geometric shapes cut out of scrap construction paper, glue, markers
Directions: You could prepare the shapes ahead of time or let children trace around patterns and cut them out. Children arrange the shapes on a sheet of paper to make new designs and objects. Can they identify the shapes they used? Encourage them to give a title to their artwork.