photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, July 2, 2020

PACK YOUR SCHOOL TOOLKIT WITH A WHITEBOARD

          HERE'S THE LINK TO THE FACEBOOK LIVE VIDEO I DID YESTERDAY
 
             https://bit.ly/drjeanReadySet
 

Some of you just finished the school year and some of you will be starting in a few weeks. One thing for sure is that it will be DIFFERENT! I’ve decided to focus my blogs this month on simple materials that can be used in multiple ways that engage multiple senses. (NO TAP AND SWIPE FROM THIS OLD TEACHER! I mean, that’s O.K., but we need to balance it with hands-on experiences!)

WHITEBOARDS FOR ALL!
If I were in charge of the world, every child would have a whiteboard for an online or traditional classroom.  Whiteboards encourage each child to respond and they are reusable.  Think of all the trees we can safe with whiteboards!

Individual whiteboards (or wipe off boards) and markers can purchased many different places. (I got my whiteboard and a pack of colored dry erase markers at Walmart for less than the cost of a latte.)  Add a butterfly clip at the top and it will double as a clipboard.

                                     

Many lumber companies will cut shower board into 9” x 12” pieces that you can use like whiteboards.

Plastic plates or laminated white card stock are also great substitutes for white boards.



Several weeks ago I asked teachers on Facebook to suggest ways they used whiteboards. Their responses were so creative I wanted all of you to be able to use them.

SHOW ME! DEBBIE BETTIS HAWTHORNE
My Kinders LOVED the “Show Me” game. They would write the response to my question (keeping it a secret by not showing anyone). When I said “show me” everyone held up their board. We celebrate trying our best- they then check my screen to see if they have it- if not we fix it. Of course, we read/review together. It all happens fairly quickly. I began by randomly calling out letters for them to write. We then moved on to letters to go with a sound, sight words, numbers, etc. Total engagement and a crowd pleaser. Everyone feels successful.

PICTIONARY CARLA GREGORY
Draw one detail of a picture at a time and see if the kids can guess what it is. Keep adding details until they figure it out. You can also give them their own white board and they could draw along with you. They could also draw their own picture and have others guess. We liked to do this activity while waiting on lunch to arrive.

MUSICAL CHAIRS KATE CARSTON PETERSON
I used a white board with the musical chairs game. Every time the music stopped we would sit and complete one part of a directed drawing. Great fun, movement, and working those fine motor skills.

GUIDED DRAWINGS MELISSA KREGLOW GRONENDYKYE
I use white boards for guided drawings (something about them being non-permanent builds their confidence), interactive read-aloud responses, and for fine motor/writing center. My kids LOVE them and anytime I say we are going to get them to begin our work they all get excited!

SECRET LETTER AMBER SMITH
Kindergarteners totally buy into anything if you say “we are going to play a game”. Play a game of secret letter. Give clues about the secret letter. The clues could be naming objects that start with this letter or end with this letter. You could give clues such as “it is the letter before m”. As you give clues the students are guessing on their whiteboards. Finally the students show their guesses.

MATH PROBLEMS TARA SANDERS BURNS
Show them a math problem and they have to complete the calculation correctly on their whiteboards.

SHOWER BOARD KATE BOYER
For white boards, I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of shower board. Home Depot cut it for me into squares and I came out with over 40 dry erase boards for $24!! And if you tell them you're a teacher, you might get lucky and they'll cut it for you for free. I'm sure Lowe's could do this too

MORNING MEETING
Use whiteboards to help children practice skills and settle down in the morning. They can practice drawing shapes, letters, or numerals.