photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, August 28, 2014

BRAIN BREAK FOR BRAIN RESEARCH


Do you think I’m making all this stuff up?  The truth is you know what works for children.  They tell you if they are making the connections in their brains by their behavior – eyes light up, faces are animated, bodies are attentive.  I had taught for decades before I was introduced to “brain research” about 15 years ago.  I remember reading everything I could get my hands on and thinking, “I know that!  Yep!  I know that!”  If you are a teacher you intuitively know what works!

I thought it might be interesting to do a brain break on two of my favorite “brainy” books for you today.  It validates and reaffirms the necessity of games, singing, movement, and best practices.

Eric Jensen TEACHING WITH THE BRAIN IN MIND (ASCD, 2005)
Here are some of Jensen’s rules for strengthening memory:
            Foster attention
            Ask questions
            Use novelty
            Use movement
            Group and regroup
            Use rhyme and songs
            Use repetition
            Rehearse, review
            Use error correction with feedback

John Medina BRAIN RULES (Pear Press, 2008)
Take a look at some of Medina’s principles:
            Exercise – Exercise boosts brain power
            Wiring – Every brain is wired differently
            Attention – We don’t pay attention to boring things
            Short-term memory –Repeat to remember.
            Long-term memory – Remember to repeat.
            Sensory integration – Stimulate more of the senses

See, you already knew those things, didn’t you.  We’re on the same page when it comes to things that work in the classroom.